Long Lighthearted Lists
Languages I’ve Been Seriously Exposed To
These are listed in chronological order.
- Born and raised in the US, so there’s that.
- I lived in France for about a year in 3rd grade.
- Was enrolled in the Newport News Japanese school that ran every Saturday all throughout middle school.
- While I was in Tanzania taking a summer course for a month, I took Swahili language classes. Plus, everyone in Tanzania speaks Swahili so there’s that.
- Took a 1-year intro class my senior year of high school.
- Studied abroad in Germany for about 4 months for my first semester of college.
Old Science Fair Projects
- 7th Grade - February 2007
- The Effect of Different Kinds of Music on the Growth of Plants
- 8th Grade - February 2008 - 3rd Place
- The hypothesis of an organic ant repellent that can increase the death number of ants rather than a pesticide was rejected by the results of the experiment. The results rejected the hypothesis therefore showing that the pesticide used in the experiment (Combat Ant Killer Gel) is still the most effective and persistent in getting rid of ants.
Cool Places I Can Live When I’m Older
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Miami, Florida
- Boston, Massachusetts
Random Materialistic Wish-List
- Kinect X or Wii (Got a Kinect with money from eBay selling!)
- Karaoke Machine
- Wireless Headphones (Check and they’re awesome!)
- Portable Scanner (It ended up sucking so I returned it!)
- 3D Printer
Coding Bootcamp Experiences
- May 2013 - I learned about coding bootcamps and what they were. The first bootcamps I heard about were App Academy and Dev Bootcamp. I then decide I’m not prepared for that sort of thing yet because it looked beyond my skills at the time.
- December 2013 - I apply to the following bootcamps for their full time web development sessions for the summer, but was unable to (unfortunately) attend any of them because I ended up taking summer college classes instead. Here are the bootcamps:
- RefactorU - Boulder, Colorado
- Applied, interviewed, accepted. Had an interesting conversation about an array of topics related to AI and the technological singularity with Sean.
- Bitmaker Labs - Toronto, Canada
- Applied, interviewed, accepted. The people there are SO nice - it’s ridiculous. I did not feel nervous at all during the whole process. You can see more about my Bitmaker experience here.
- Code Fellows - Seattle, Washington
- I applied for the Front-End Design & Development class in Seattle but did not go through with the interview. They understood and were pretty nice about it.
- Dev Bootcamp - Chicago
- I applied for their main program at their Chicago site. Again, I submitted the application but did not go through with the rest.
- HackerYou - Toronto, Canada
- Applied, chatted with founder Heather, never ended up completing the rest of admissions process, but it was still a great chat.
- Hackbright Academy - San Francisco, CA
- Applied, chatted with co-founder Christian and one of the instructors, never ended up completing the rest of admissions process.
- RocketU - San Francisco, CA
- Applied, chatted with one of the admission officers but told them early on I would not be completing the process. They were very understanding.
Cool Conferences I Can Go To Eventually