Progressive Web App Roadshow San Francisco 2017
Google Launchpad Space - 301 Howard Street San Francisco, CA - 4th Floor
Sunday, October 22nd - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Participant - I participated this event as part of the Chrome Dev Summit. Registration was super limited so I’m glad I was able to attend.
The Progressive Web App Roadshow is a series of events that explains the what, why and how of PWAs and allows participants to work through some code labs that provides hands-on experience.
What are PWAs?
Progressive Web Apps are experiences that combine the best of the web and the best of apps. They load quickly, even on flaky networks, can re-engage with users by sending web push notifications, have an icon on the home screen and load as top-level, full screen experiences.
- Web Push Notifications Library
- Web Push Notifications
- Good Notifications
- Matters right now
- User cares about it
- Exact details
- How Push Works
- Client Side
- Get permissions to send notifications
- Subscribe & get
PushSubscription to server
- Server Side
- Create message on server
- Use Web Push Protocol to send
- All browsers use
Web Push API
- Push Service delivers message
- Message arrives on device
- Browser wakes up service worker
push event and shows notification
- Application security keys
- Subscribing and unsubscribing
- Is web push supported?
- Check subscription status
- Subscribe to user
- Promoting and permission
- First ask, then prompt
- gives options
- Man in the middle attacks
- First get
HTTPS then extend to
- Referrer Policy
- Available in Chrome DevTools & as a command line tool.
- Aim for 90 and above on all metrics
- Best Practices
And I’m pumped!
Where I was sitting