🎧 Available on
Why start this podcast?
So after starting to listen to more tech podcasts, I realized a disappointing trend - most of the hosts were white guys. Overwhelmingly so.
But instead of deciding to complain about the lack of good tech podcasts with POC hosts, I instead decided to start my own.
Introducing Tech Queens, the first and only podcast I know of that will solely focus on the stories and advice shared by women of color in tech.
Who is this podcast for?
In 2015, women made up 25 percent of computing-related occupations.
As Figure 1.1 indicates, levels of participation are even more concerning when it comes to women of color (NCWIT - Bureau of Labor, 2016).
The stat above is just one part of the reason this podcast will exclusively serve to highlight thriving women of color in tech and inspire or encourage others to enter the industry and thrive themselves so they too can leverage their unique skills and perspectives for technological innovation and social change in the workplace of the future.
Who is the host?
Hi, I’m Frances!
I’m a Latina (Peruvian-American) who engineers solutions to make your working life more simple, more pleasant and more productive.
When will the episodes be published?
I plan on releasing an episode at least once every month or more often, depending on my bandwidth at the time.
Where will the episodes be published?
Recordings will be distributed through Anchor at https://anchor.fm/tech-queens and then shared on these platforms (still a WIP):
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Pocket Casts
The Twitter handle is
@TechQueensPod and the hashtag is
How will the episodes be formatted?
The format for each 1 hour session will look something like this:
- What’s your story?
- As a minority women in tech, what challenges or obstacles have you faced within the tech industry?
- What groups, strategies or tools have you used to overcome those obstacles?
- If you were a white man in tech, what do you think would be easier for you to deal with (if anything)?
- If you could give any advice to your younger self as you were starting out, what would it be?
- What do you think can be done to create a safer space for us?
- What is a useful app or platform that has helped you grow in your career?
- What does the term XYZ mean to you and how has it impacted your career?
- What is an organization or affinity group that you would recommend joining?
- Where do you live online or how can people reach out to you?
Want to be on the podcast?
You can find all the relevant info that I share with interviewees on Google Docs using https://goo.gl/xNFaKb.
What were the resources used?
The avatar images were created using avataaars generator.
The design assets can be downloaded using this Figma link.
Music by Jukedeck - create your own at jukedeck.com.